Colorectal Cancer Facts
We’re Glad You Give a Crap about Colon Cancer!
And more people should…Colorectal cancer is the third most common cause of cancer in men and women, and the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the U.S. for men and women.
What’s the Deal with the Squatty Potty?
The use of a Squatty Potty aligns a person’s colon to an angle that allows their bowels to empty with less effort and promotes good colon health.
How to Use a Squatty Potty.
Did You Know?
- 1 in 10 colorectal cases occur in people under 50
- Young-onset colorectal cancer are rising 1.5% every year
- Screening should begin at the age of 45 for people at average risk
- The most common symptom of colorectal cancer is no symptoms
- When screening finds colorectal cancer early, survival rates are as high as 90%
- African Americans are at a higher risk for colorectal cancer
- Pre-existing conditions that increase risk of colorectal cancer include type 2 diabetes, obesity, inherited syndromes including Lynch, and inflammatory bowel disease
Tips for a Healthier Colon
- Eat fiber (fruits and veggies)
- Drink plenty of water
- Drink low-fat or fat free milk
- Eat lean proteins (chicken and turkey) instead of processed meats (lunch meat, hotdogs)
- Reduce excess sugar and fried foods
- Limit alcohol intake
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Don’t smoke
- Exercise regularly
- Monitor bathroom habits for any changes
For more information, call 386.425.BLUE.