Join Costa Magoulas, CEC, CCE, CCA, AAC, MHA, and Dean of the Daytona State College of Hospitality and Culinary Management as he cooks up some healthy dishes and talks about healthy eating.
Please email Mica Lill at Mica.Lill@halifax.org or join the Zoom link at us02web.zoom.us to participate in this discussion.
The class will cover the following topics and foods.
- Discuss oils and stocks for cooking
- Healthy Salad
- Spring mix, broccoli, Chinese, cabbage, kale, , celery, carrots optional protein (pine nuts, chick peas ,black beans, tofu cooked chicken. Olive oil and vinegar dressing salt and pepper to taste.
- Bean Burgers Patties
- 1 can 13/1/2 oz pinto beans
- 1 can 13 ½ oz , black beans
- 1 /2 cup cooked wild rice
- ½ cup chopped red onions ¼ in
- ½ cup chopped red peppers1/4 inch
- ½ cup chopped cooked or can mushrooms ¼ in
- 1 tsp avocado or coconut spread
- ¼ tsp coriander
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp table ground pepper
In a non -stick sauté pan melt spread over medium heat and onions, mushrooms and pepper cook until they are soft, don’t overcook.
In a mixing bowl add pinto beans, black beans, and cooked vegetables, wild rice and all seasonings, mix well.
Mold into Portion patties, approximately 3 oz portions. wrap individually in freezer paper and place in gallon freezer bag and freeze. To reheat air fry for 6-7 minutes at 370 degrees.
Protein mix for salads
- ½ cup quinoa
- ½ cup lentil beans
- ½ cups chopped red onions
- 1 /2 cup chopped celery
- 4-6 cups vegetable stock
Place all ingredients in a stock pot and cook over medium heat until all vegetables are tender.
Additional stock may be needed. Salt and pepper to taste.
Bag 3-4 oz. in small freezer bags freeze and use as needed reheat in microwave.
Beef and Mushroom Burger
- 2 oz., Onion Chopped
- 2 cups, Portobello Mushrooms Chopped
- 1 lb., Lean Ground Beer
- 1 cup, Whole Wheat Bread
- 1 tsp., Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp., Ketchup
- 1 tsp., Salt
- 1 tsp., Ground Pepper
Place onions, mushrooms in food processor and process until finely chopped. Add beef, bread, ketchup, and seasonings, process for a few seconds until the mixture binds together. Divide into burger shapes by hand. Fry in a non-stick pan coated lightly with pan spray or bake in oven 12-15 minutes.
Portion 3 oz. Mushroom beef burger 5.9 grams fat 175 calories (optional turkey meat)
150 calories 4 grams of fat
All beef burger-200 calories 12 grams fat
Coconut Curry Vegan or Chicken
- 2 cans (13.5 oz.) coconut milk
- 2 -3 cups assorted vegetables; zucchini, mushrooms, red onions, red bell pepper, fresh spinach Cauliflower chopped
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup cashews (options listed below)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoons powdered coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Mace (optional) or ½ teaspoon allspice or nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (fresh is better)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place all ingredients except cashew nuts in a 2 qtr. pans over medium heat. Cook until vegetables are tender about 9-10 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Add cashews before serving. (Variations using the same recipe add raw shrimp or sliced chicken breast thin or sliced pork tenderloin thin, during the cooking process.)
How to cook a steak
Sugars and fruit
Healthy desserts and chocolates