Programs & Services
At Halifax Health – Hospice, we use a specialized team approach to care.
We have physicians and nurses who work with your personal doctor to ensure physical comfort. We also have social workers and bereavement counselors who offer emotional support for patients and their families. Our spiritual counselors work with your spiritual leader to provide support regardless of religious affiliation. We have volunteers to assist patients and families with daily needs as well as nurse assistants to help patients with personal care.
Our programs are the same for every patient whether care is covered by Medicare, Medicaid, private insurance, or no insurance at all.
Our programs include the following:
- Medical, nursing, personal, emotional and spiritual care
- Palliative care
- Volunteer assistance
- Physician participation
- Medical social services
- Pastoral or spiritual
- Bereavement counseling (for family up to one year after patients death)
- Hospice Aide services
- Medical equipment
- Other medical supplies
- Laboratory and other diagnostic studies related to terminal illness
- Therapists as appropriate
Our services may be needed for any person who has a terminal illness and a prognosis of six months or less. Through our support system we honor wishes during the patient’s remaining time and make end-of-life as peaceful and fulfilling as possible. Our care can be delivered anywhere: in a home, assisted living facility, nursing home or wherever the patient chooses to spend their final weeks or months.
Our services may include the following:
- Care that includes pain management
- Administering medications, as prescribed by the physician
- Personal care that respects the individual’s dignity.
- Family or caregiver education
- Assistance with resources including financial aid, funeral arrangements and Advanced Directives
- Spiritual support from Chaplains and spiritual volunteers
- Companionship, such as reading a book aloud, playing cards, talking together, etc.
- Emotional support for the patient and family members
- Respite for the caregivers as needed
Our team includes the following:
- Physician medical director
- Hospice nurses and certified nursing assistants
- Social worker
We provide care from a dedicated and caring team can make a difference for those facing end-of-life, and for their loved ones. Our hospice team can reduce physical pain, ease emotional and spiritual suffering, and facilitate financial and legal activities as needed.
We serve our patients 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We are here to provide compassionate end-of-life services in your home or care facility.
For more information or to refer a patient, please call 800.272.2717.