Halifax Health neurosurgeons are the leaders in the development of several innovative and patented techniques for the treatment of brain and spinal cord injuries and strokes, as well as spine surgery with motion preservation.
Halifax Health Medical Center is the only trauma center in area with neurosurgery coverage, involving the critical care team, ICP, EEG and invasive monitoring for head injury patients.
Halifax Health neurosurgeons have one of the best surgical programs in Central Florida for the treatment of spinal herniated discs and degeneration. Spinal surgery for a herniated disc or stenosis from a bone spur can be undertaken using either microsurgical or minimally invasive techniques. Many patients needing spinal reconstruction or fusion for extensive spine degeneration can now also have these procedures undertaken using minimally invasive techniques with small incisions, less pain, and faster recovery times.
Halifax Health neurosurgeons in conjunction with radiation oncologist are the only providers in the area for stereotactic radiosurgery treatment which is also known as “incisionless brain and spine surgery”. Stereotatic radiosurgery is used for the treatment of brain tumors, spine tumors, vascular malformations, and trigeminal neuralgia (facial pain).
Halifax Health has the area’s only neurosurgical operating rooms equipped with the most advanced equipment. These include:
- Brain Lab Navigation system which allows for very precise anatomical localization during surgery for brain tumors or spinal instrumentation,Concentric C-arm fluoroscopy system which allows for real time computed tomography quality imaging during the surgical procedure.
- State of the art microscopes capable of integrating intra-operative navigation and fluorescent imaging of brain tumors which have been tagged with antibodies to allow for resection of tumors that previously could not be seen.
- Neuro-endoscope with robotic arm which allows brain surgery through a “key-hole” minimally invasive approach.
Neurosurgeons at Halifax Health perform complex surgical procedures including:
- Micro discectomies
- Minimally invasive laminectomies
- Spinal fusions, including minimally invasive fusion and instrumentation procedures of the lumbar spine
- Surgical treatment of spine fractures
- Surgical treatment of spine tumors, including reconstructive procedures
- Congenital and acquired cervico-occipital junction abnormalities
- Cervical discectomy, laminectomy and fusion procedures
- Lumbar and cervical artificial disc placement
Spinal Cord Procedures
- Spinal cord tumors
Brain and Cranial Surgery
- Stereotactic Microsurgery for Cerebral AVMs and Aneurysms
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery for AVMs
- Revascularization of the Blood Supply
- Skull lesions
- Brain tumor biopsy and resection including stereotactic procedures
- Intracranial hemorrhages
- Ventriculoperitoneal shunt for hydrocephalus
- Pituitary transphenoidal tumor resection
- Sub-occipital decompression for Chiari Malformation
- Head trauma related surgery including cranial reconstruction
- Carotid Endarterectomy
Peripheral Nerve Procedures
- Carpal tunnel release
- Ulnar nerve decompression
- Surgical treatment of peripheral nerve injuries
- Peripheral nerve tumors