Halifax Health – Betty Jane France Center for Pediatrics was designed with the idea of caring for the whole family in mind. Brightly decorated with a NASCAR racing theme, Speediatrics creates a cheerful and reassuring environment for the children that are receiving care and their families.
The Daytona International Speedway is adjacent to the medical center, and NASCAR drivers often come to visit with young patients during Race Week and other events. There are displays of memorabilia from NASCAR cars and drivers and the Speediatrics Wall of Fame has autographs from the many famous visitors. With the help of the NASCAR Foundation and community partners, we are able to create positive and memorable experiences for the children and families that come to Speediatrics.
The NASCAR theme is carried throughout all aspects of our 32-bed pediatric unit, even with the ceiling tiles that have the Speediatrics Characters on them. The unit opened in 1999 and was newly renovated and reopened on November 10, 2010. Speediatrics cares for more than 2,000 children each year, including about 300 of those receiving care in the PICU. Speediatrics care extends to the Pediatric Emergency Department located in Halifax Health Medical Center’s Emergency Department, France Tower Ground Level and is also NASCAR-themed.
What can I expect in the Speediatrics Unit?
- Highly experienced physicians and pediatric intensive care specialists are supported by a team of skilled nurses and staf
- New sleep beds for parents in patient rooms
- Teen Room with movies, video games and activities for older children
- Kids Room with toys and activities for younger children
- Parent Lounge
- Iconic signature wall that includes autographs from drivers and other guests who have visited the unit
- Betty Jane France Pediatric Resource Library consisting of a computer/printer with access to top pediatric medical books and publications
- Laptop computers available to patients for use in their rooms with patient access to the Internet and e-mail to communicate with their schools, families and friends