Nurse navigation is a process by which nurses proactively guide patients through the health system to coordinate services. As the point of contact for the patient, nurse navigation ensures all patients with suspicious findings receive timely diagnosis, treatment and follow-up care to achieve better outcomes.
The Nurse Navigator is a clinical expert who works with healthcare providers, financial counselors and social services to enable the patient to access available resources.
Goals of Nurse Navigators:
- Save lives from cancer
- Eliminate barriers to care
- Ensure timely delivery of services
- Educate and empower patients to take an active role in their care
- Bring potential cost savings through improved patient care and results
A diagnosis of cancer can be overwhelming for patients, as well as their families. At Halifax Health – Cancer Center for Hope, we’re here to answer questions and help you navigate through your journey.
Halifax Health – Cancer Center for Hope offers a Nurse Navigator to you, provided as a complimentary service.
What will my Nurse Navigator do for me?
- Provide emotional support and comfort to a newly diagnosed patient
- Help you navigate through the healthcare system
- Serve as a point of contact to create a seamless approach to your care
- Expedite scheduling for appointments and tests
- Collaborate with physicians, healthcare providers and team members to provide advice, support and real-time answers to your questions
- Connect you with local and national community resources
Our Nurse Navigators are committed to being not just an educator and advocates but also a friend who will guide you through diagnosis, treatment and beyond.
Your Nurse Navigator will provide emotional support, education and act as a resource so that you can make well-informed decisions regarding your care options. This service coordinates access to cancer care services while providing quality care and assisting with coping strategies for dealing with fear and anxiety that can be felt by newly diagnosed cancer patients and their families.
For more information, contact Halifax Health – Cancer Center for Hope, Nurse Navigators at 386.425.4212.